A Queens murder suspect arrested 24 years after a fatal stabbing in New York has been extradited from South Korea to the United States, police said.
According to the New York Police Department, suspect Ho “Alex” Shin, 44, was taken into custody in South Korea and returned to the United States on February 13. He is accused of fatally stabbing Dae Hyun Kim, 22, and injuring Jun Byun, 19, during a 2002 attack in Queens.
The attack occurred on January 6, 2002, at an apartment near 153rd Street in Flushing, Queens. Police said Shin allegedly stabbed both victims inside the apartment.
Although Byun survived the attack, Kim was transported to a nearby hospital in Flushing, where he later died.
Investigators determined that the violence began after the individuals, who knew each other, had been drinking together. An argument escalated inside the apartment, authorities said. Police further stated that one victim was stabbed inside the unit, dragged into the hallway and attacked again.
Authorities said Shin fled the scene immediately after the incident. He reportedly traveled through Boston and Washington, D.C., before leaving the country for South Korea.
Police said he remained in South Korea for more than two decades. However, investigators recently located him and coordinated his arrest. He was extradited to the United States this week to face prosecution.
In addition, another suspect, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was previously arrested and served time on murder charges. However, police said Shin was identified as the individual who wielded the knife.
Following his return, Shin was charged with murder, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon. He is expected to undergo formal arraignment proceedings in Queens Criminal Court.
The case highlights renewed efforts by law enforcement to pursue long-unsolved violent crimes. Police did not disclose additional details about how investigators tracked Shin’s whereabouts in South Korea.
Authorities have not released further comment as the case moves forward in court.
BY HANKIL KANG [kang.hankil@koreadaily.com]
![Trump administration begins nationwide citizenship revocation screening An illustrative image of Social Security beneficiaries traveling abroad. [ChatGPT-generated image]](https://www.koreadailyus.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/01/0130-USCIS-100x70.jpg)


