The Korean Cultural Center Los Angeles (KCCLA) and the Korean Traditional Percussion Music Group “NORI” will present a performance, Restoring Tradition, on Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:30pm in the Ari Hall located on the 3rd floor of Korean Cultural Center, Los Angeles.
The program is organized to appreciate the soft melody and dynamic rhythm of Korean traditional percussion. The event opens with “Yeolimgut with Chaesang Noreum,” then continues to “Gutgeori Garak,” “Youngnam Nongak Garak,” Jeannie Kim’s performance of “Sogo Chum (Small Hand-Drum Dance),” “Honam Udo Garak & Jjaksswae Nori,” “Modeumbuk Samulnori Arirang”, and finally to “Sangmo Chum” which includes the most difficult technique of the traditional farming music.
NORI is a Traditional Korean Percussion Music group based in Southern California. The group is consist of proficient musicians who majored in Korean traditional music and business professionals who embrace the heritage of Samulnori (Korean traditional percussion music).
NORI also actively promotes Korean culture through cultural exchanges with other communities and organizations in Southern California. NORI provides educational programs to second-generation Korean-Americans such as Introduction to Korean Traditional Culture or Samulnori classes.
This performance is presented as a part of the Korean Cultural Center’s 2016 ARI PROJECT Season 3: Performing Arts Series, which feature a rich program of various performing arts programs including Korean traditional music and world music, as well as contemporary dance and theater.
Admission is free and reservation via online or phone is required.
[ARI PROJECT 2016: Performing Arts]
Promoted by Korean Traditional Percussion Music Group “NORI”
-Date: Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:30pm
-Place: Korean Cultural Center, Los Angeles 3rd Fl. Ari Hall
5505 Wilshire Blvd., LA, CA 90036
–Online Reservation: www.kccla.org/english/programs_reservation.asp
-For more Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 323-936-3015
1. Yeolimgut with Chaesang Noreum – All Nori Members
2. Introduction – Ju Young Lim, Music Director
3. Gutgeori Garak – All Nori Members
4. Youngnam Nongak Garak – Joon Young Yeo(Kkwanggwari: small gong), Juyoung Lim(Janggu: an hourglass-shaped drum), Kyoung Ah Lee(Buk: a barrel drum), Eunice Kim(Jing: a larger gong)
5. Sogo Chum (Small Hand-Drum Dance) – Jeannie Kim
6. Honam Udo Garak & Jjaksswae Nori- Juyoung Lim(Kkwanggwari: small gong), Yoonhee Aprahamian, Sungyee Kim, Eunjin Jang, Kihyon Kim (Janggu: an hourglass-shaped drum), Kyoung Ah Lee, Eunice Kim, Jae Hui Kim (Buk: a barrel drum), Joon Young Yeo (Jing: a larger gong & Jjaksoe)
7. Modeumbuk Samulnori Arirang – Munhwasarang Jangguhakdang Members
8. Sangmo Chum – Nori Members, Sangmo Chum (Kyoung Ah Lee)